Washburn athletes work to stay active during the offseason

How do athletes stay active during the off-season?
This graphic shows which teams are in which season for their sport. Each team is dedicated to a certain time of year and their offseason is opposite times. (Graphic by Larissa Morgan)

Washburn Athletics has a total of 14 sports. About 10% of Washburn students play on a campus sports team, not including high school students.

According to Kyle Manthe, assistant athletic communications director, we have anywhere from 430 to 440 student-athletes at Washburn.

While student-athletes are active during respective semesters for their sport, such as volleyball and football in the fall and baseball in the spring, other students may wonder what these athletes do during their offseason. During this time, Jace Kinnamon, Olympic Sports strength and conditioning coordinator, works with student-athletes to help maintain minds and physiques.

“Offseason lifts are scheduled and so each week, the NCAA allot a certain amount of time for athletes to have organized team activities even in the offseason,” Kinnamon said.

According to Kinnamon, teams find time to schedule training around the players’ academic commitments. In the summer months, this training is voluntary.

“During the offseason, we still practice but it’s just not as much, like three times a week and we do weights,” said Raegan Wells, a fifth-year senior communications major and goalkeeper for Washburn soccer.

Some athletes choose to stay physically active while at home, such as working out in their free time or playing outdoor sports for fun.

“I always play summer ball because it keeps me active and keeps me in shape,” said Shane Morrow, senior sports management major and baseball player.

Morrow added that offseason workouts are more for getting oneself better and on season workouts are more for getting the team better.

While many student athletes have many different ways of staying physically active whether it be during their “in season” sport or not, being able to keep up a healthy lifestyle is key.

“It’s very important to create healthy habits and create those habits that can be sustainable and lifelong,” said James Thayer, assistant director of the SWRC. He also adds the SWRC helps provide a good foundation into learning and starting the education so that they can continue once they leave Washburn.

Coaches like Chris Herron, Washburn volleyball head coach, are able to tell when their athletes don’t work out in the summer.

“We have some testing things that we do when they come back when they have to prepare for them […],” Herron said.

The testing that he talks about is a mixture of agility, speed, and endurance to help them prepare for the test for when the players come back from the summer or off season.Herron added that he and the strength coaches collaborate together and that they try to implement that being in shape or being healthy is a lifelong habit.

Edited by LeSha’ Davis and Aja Carter