Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Stevenson and Christiansen’s valuable performances land them student-athletes of the week

Jalyn+Stevenson+%28left%29%2C+junior+business+major+and+outside+hitter+for+Washburn+volleyball+along+with+Brady+Christiansen+%28right%29%2C+sophomore+marketing+major+and+forward+position+for+Washburn%E2%80%99s+men%E2%80%99s+basketball+team+land+student-athletes+of+the+week.+Each+have+shown+outstanding+abilities+in+their+sports+and+academics.+
Graphic by Aja Carter
Jalyn Stevenson (left), junior business major and outside hitter for Washburn volleyball along with Brady Christiansen (right), sophomore marketing major and forward position for Washburn’s men’s basketball team land student-athletes of the week. Each have shown outstanding abilities in their sports and academics.

Each week, WU sports selects two student-athletes to be named the Hyvee student-athletes of the week. Jalyn Stevenson, junior outside hitter and business major, of Washburn volleyball and Brady Christiansen, sophomore forward and marketing major, of Washburn men’s basketball were the selected candidates for the week Nov. 13-19. These athletes have been recognized for their tremendous performances the week prior.

Washburn volleyball wrapped up their regular season on a three game win streak. Stevenson mentions that heading into post-season play on a win streak allows the team to feel confident heading to their next game.

“When you’re coming in [to the MIAA tournament] winning, you have a more positive outlook on the games coming up,” said Stevenson.

The final game of the regular season took place Nov. 11, where Washburn swept the Newman Jets 3-0. In that game, Stevenson led the Ichabods in three categories recording 16 kills, two aces and two blocks.

Stevenson voiced how she felt about being named student-athlete of the week.

“After a couple of games where you know you did well and did everything you coud, it definitely feels great,” Stevenson said. “Along with winning on top of them, it feels even better that you help your team get there.”

Post-season play is a part of the season that Stevenson particularly enjoys due to the “there is nothing to lose” feeling, which she claims allows her to perform at a high level.

Washburn earned the No. 5 seeding in the MIAA tournament which matched them up against the No. 4 Missouri Western Griffons. Ichabod volleyball ended their season in a hard fought battle that resulted in a 3-1 win for the Griffons, making their overall record 17-11.

Christiansen was also named student-athlete of the week for his production during Washburn men’s basketball season opening weekend at the Central Region Challenge. Washburn won their first game against Sioux Falls 82-80 and lost the following day to MSU Moorhead 77-79.

In these two games, Christiansen averaged 15.5 points and seven rebounds. He recorded 13 points shooting 57% from the field and eight rebounds in the Sioux falls game. Against MSU Moorhead, he scored a career high 18 points shooting 50% from the field and six rebounds.

Christiansen’s main focus is on the team’s best interest and how he can help the team win.

“It feels good [to be a student-athlete of the week] but I am just doing anything it takes for this team to win, ” Christiansen said.

It is just the beginning of Washburn’s basketball season and there is plenty of work to be done from Christiansen and his team. He believes that a major way he can help his team succeed throughout the season is to give it his all every play and never take a play off. Christiansen wants to continue to utilize his abilities on both ends of the court.

He also states that there is one key factor that will play a role in the team’s success this year.

“It’s early on so there are going to be a lot of ups and downs,” Christiansen said. “How we face adversity this year is what’s going to determine our success.”

To stay up to date on the current student-athletes of the week, check out WU sports website and twitter account where they will be announced each Monday.

Edited by Aja Carter and LeSha’ Davis