Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce: The rumored couple that broke the internet

Ichabods express their thoughts on the rumored couple
Aja Carter
Rumors of the relationship between Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce spread with Swift’s attendance to Sunday Sept. 24 Cheifs football game. Chiefs fans and “Swifties” worlds collided to witness the duo.

Arrowhead Stadium, home of the Kansas City Chiefs​​, holds 76,416 people. However, the attendance of one specific person seemingly broke the internet.

On Sunday Sept. 24, 2023 Taylor Swift was spotted watching the Chiefs play in a suite with Travis Kelce’s mom, creating rumors and speculation about her relationship with the star Tight End.

For multiple days following that moment, it seemed as though you couldn’t find a single social media platform that wasn’t filled with content about their relationship.

Alex Hart, a senior nursing major, has mixed emotions about the relationship announcement.

“I think it’s awesome, especially since Taylor Swift said she has a love for Kansas ever since her best friend attended KU,” Hart said. “But I am concerned that if they break up people will start to choose sides.”

Swift is well known for using her breakups as music inspiration and has multiple songs that are about a specific ex-boyfriend. Her fan base the “Swifties” are also typically very interested in Swift’s love life. The Kansas City game that she attended was the most viewed Chiefs game of the season by far. Additionally, Kelce’s jersey sales skyrocketed by 400% following the game.

“If they ever break up I’m worried there will be Chiefs fans who don’t like Taylor Swift anymore and Swifties who don’t like the Chiefs anymore,” Hart said.

Braden Burcham, a junior mass media major, worries that the overwhelming media coverage of their relationship will affect Kelce’s performance.

“The media coverage has gotten a little out of hand,” Burcham said. “ I just hope the situation doesn’t distract him from playing good football.”

Kelce is no stranger to the spotlight as he makes media appearances through multiple different outlets including NFL games, commercial advertisements, his reality TV show “Catching Kelce” and the podcast he co-hosts with his brother Jason Kelce, New Heights. However, constant coverage of his girlfriend, who happens to be one of the most famous singers of all time, is new territory for number 87.

Despite this concern, Burcham appreciates Swift’s support of Kelce’s career.

“Other than that, it is really cool to see the support she has been giving him,” Burcham said.

Swift continues to show her support for Kelce and the Chiefs as she flew out to New York, NY to watch the team defeat the New York Jets 23-20 Sunday Oct. 1.

Edited by Aja Carter and Larissa Morgan

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Washburn Review
$95
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Washburn University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.