Donations for Can Emporia

Can Emporia has kicked off for another year, and the Washburn community has asked to donate non-perishable goods.

Staff Report

Each year, Washburn University competes with Emporia State University, trying to raise more canned food donations, for their respective local food pantries.

“I think Can Emporia is good for our school to do, which is being able to outreach to those in need and I think it motivates students to donate cans since it’s against our rival school,” said Sarah Watts, a junior social work major.

This year, for the Can Emporia competition, all student organizations will be competing with one another. The top prize is the recognition on a brand new WSGA plaque and a $150 Gift Certificate for their student organization. The winner will be the organization that raises the most money and/ or canned foods for Can Emporia. The donation of the items count as follows: four packages of Ramen noodles is one can, jarred items and boxes of cereal of 12 ounce or more are equal to three cans, and macaroni & cheese counts as one can. Every donated dollar is equal to three cans.

Cash and cans are being collected in the Washburn Student Government Office in the lower level of the Memorial Union and online donations can be made on the Washburn Student Government Association’s webpage under the Can Emporia subsection. More information can be found on MyWashburn.

Can Emporia runs through Oct. 31.