Bod Brief: Men’s tennis sweeps senior day over Bethel

Kyle Manthe

Senior Miller Zeiders (left) and sophomore Daniel Bird (right) celebrate after winning a point April 21, 2022. Zeiders and Bird won their No. 3 doubles match 6-3.

No. 15 Washburn men’s tennis wrapped up its official slate of regular-season matches with a 7-0 sweep over Bethel College April 21.

The Ichabods (17-4), were ranked No. 4 in the latest NCAA Division II Central Region ranking released prior to the match as the team boasts a 5-2 record inside the division.

Washburn recognized its two seniors, Raul-Alin Dicu and Miller Zeiders, following the team’s third win in a row and second straight 7-0 sweep. The win also completed a 7-0 regular season of home matches.

The No. 26 pairing of freshman Matthew Earle and sophomore Sebastian Pjontek took a 6-1 No. 1 win to open doubles play. Dicu and freshman Noah Neideck took a 6-3 victory at the No. 2 spot and Zeiders and sophomore Daniel Bird followed at No. 3.

Sophomore Miquel Perez lost only three set points in his two-set victory at the No. 3 singles position. He was followed by No. 26 Tim Hammes and the No. 67 ranked Dicu, who won two-set matches at the No. 2 and No. 1 spots respectively, giving the Ichabods a 4-0 win.

Bird, Earle and Zeiders all won their matches in two sets at the No. 4, 5 and 6 positions to complete the team’s second straight sweep.

Washburn moved to 7-0 at home after the win and will begin the MIAA conference tournament April 27 after an exhibition match against Cowley County Community College April 24.

Edited by: Glorianna Noland