Bod Brief: Women’s tennis vexed by Vikings in 4-2 loss

Kohichiro Yamada

Washburn Svea Crohn backhands the ball Mar. 18, 2022, Topeka, Kan. Crohn and sophomore Marta Torres won their doubles match 6-2.

After being away from Topeka for nearly a month, women’s tennis returned home for a match with No. 16 Augustana University.

For the first time all season, the Ichabods fell at home, losing 4-2 to the Vikings, making six straight losses for Washburn.

The Ichabods came close to starting the match by taking the doubles point. Junior Svea Crohn and sophomore Marta Torres finished first, taking a 6-2 win from the third position. Playing in the second spot, junior Kinsey Fields and sophomore Maja Jung fell 6-4.

The freshman pair of Isabella Martensson and Lara Schmid went into a tiebreaker from the No. 1 spot before falling 7-6.

In singles play, Jung made quick work of her opponent in the third position, winning in two sets to even the score at 1-1. Torres followed suit with a three-set victory from the first spot to put Washburn up 2-1.

Martensson fell a tightly contested three-set match from the second spot to even up the score. Both Schmid and sophomore Cadence Lynn fell in two sets to end the match, giving Augustana a 4-2 victory. Crohn’s match was left unfinished in the third set.

The women’s team will stay at home as they face Southwest Baptist University at the Washburn Tennis Complex Friday, Mar. 25.

Edited by: Glorianna Noland