Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Washburn celebrates fraternity and sorority life with surprise banner reveal

Larissa Morgan
President JuliAnn Mazachek poses with the members of the Fraternity and Sorority Life to reveal their banners in the Union Café on Aug. 29. She was excited to see the banners and to help get the fraternities and sororities noticed on campus to incoming students.

In celebration and awareness of fraternity and sorority life at Washburn, a surprise banner reveal was held Aug. 29 at 11:30 a.m. in the Union Café.

Eleven banners, each representing a fraternity or sorority on campus, were hung on the balcony railing and were revealed by their respectful members. They were revealed from left to right in order of oldest to newest from when the organizations were established.

The reveal started with Kappa Sigma, then Phi Delta Theta, Alpha Delta, Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma, Kappa Alpha Psi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Zeta Phi Beta and Sigma Lambda Gamma. The councils included in this reveal were the Interfraternity Council, College Panhellenic Council and Multicultural Greek Council.

This event shined a light on the many fraternities and sororities Washburn offers.

“It’s a great way to show greek life on campus. It shows we support each other,” said Dylan Grospitch, a senior sociology major and member of Sigma Phi Epsilon.

The members who were present appreciated this opportunity to represent their organizations.

“It shows that Washburn is taking more pride in greek life and is supporting it,” said Colton Cattoor, sophomore psychology major and member of Kappa Sigma.

Lesley Ayala, a senior integrated studies major and member of Sigma Lambda Gamma, enjoyed seeing fraternities and sororities come together at this event.

“We’re all getting represented as organizations including Multicultural, IFC and Panhellenic. It’s awesome that we’re all together because greeks should be united,” Ayala said.

Philip Canady, senior finance marketing and member of Kappa Alpha Psi, hit home on what it means to be a part of fraternity and sorority life.

“There are organizations on campus for the students who are willing to cater to them and give them a social group to be a part of regardless of their belief, gender and ideas. And just go outside and also help the community with their different philanthropies. Just noticing that these organizations are on campus here, available for any students including incoming and transferring, it means a lot,” Canady said.

Director of Student Involvement and Development, Isaiah Collier said he believes that this event is making the statement that fraternities and sororities are here to stay. Seeing the banners in the cafeteria helps show incoming students about fraternity and sorority life.

Those who are interested in learning more can visit the fraternity and sorority life website.

Edited by LeSha’ Davis and Karli Bayliss