Washburn recognizes students’ success at fall commencement

Dr. Jerry Farley, President of Washburn University shares wise words of wisdom to kick off fall commencement. Fall commencement was held Dec. 17, 2021.

The 2021 fall commencement took place over two ceremonies Friday, Dec. 17 at Lee Arena.

During his remarks, Dr. Farley, the Present of Washburn University, invoked the provisions that come with an academic degree.

“You, your families, your friends and your fellow students are all proud of what you have accomplished. But now, you must give back. Everyone will want you to do more,” Farley said.

To those in Lee Arena and those streaming live, he solemnly touched on the increasing “troublesome” ways ideologies are actively polarized to separate us.

“We have helped prepare you to learn to think critically, and to discuss and debate civilly,” Farley said. “But we should not be satisfied with being told how to think.”

The Washburn Wind Ensemble provided stirring live music throughout the night, which saw 22 doctors, 14 masters, 296 bachelors, and 27 associate degrees conferred upon the new graduates.

Samrat Shahi, who received a bachelor of science degree majoring in molecular biology and biotechnology, recounted his arrival at Washburn from Nepal.

“At first it was a little difficult to enter this environment, but my professors and friends at the International House helped me get through it,” Shahi said.

Fellow classmate and recipient of a bachelor of science degree majoring in biology, Reece Warren, expounded fondly on his time at Washburn.

“The time dedicated by professors is priceless,” Warren said. “A lot of good memories and friendships were made in late night study groups and campus events with my fraternity.”

The winner of the Sibberson Award was announced the next morning, Saturday, Dec. 18 via Washburn’s YouTube channel. It was awarded to Baylee Wolf, fall 2021 and founder of Washburn’s Best Buddies chapter.

Links to rewatch commencement and the university’s YouTube channel can be found at www.washburn.edu/commencement.

Edited by Elie Walker and Alyssa Storm