Calling Shots: Cannon reflects on Employee of the Year

Staff Profile of Josh Cannon

Mass media film student Josh Cannon is a senior this year. He continues to study film and video while maintaining his position at Washburn Information Technology Services. Cannon received the Student Employee of the Year Award for his hard work and dedication. He is also an employee at Sports Production, a company that filmed 60+ sporting events on campus.
Assistant professor of mass media film and video Matthew Nyquist, gave Cannon plenty of guidance as his teacher and employer throughout the year. According to Nyquist, Cannon’s performance both on the job and in the classroom was very satisfactory.
“I was the producer for all of those games,” said Cannon. “I worked my butt off for all of the seasons. I worked on my own, and took away a lot of responsibility from them and put it onto myself.”
Cannon is learning quickly about his passions as he balances school and career development. He remains highly motivated to reach toward his goal of producing films in the future.
“Working at Washburn, I’m being pushed to do all of these things on my own: taking accountability, and developing leadership skills. I can’t tell you how many 22-year-olds run an entire sporting production division at a university,” said Cannon.
An award for Outstanding Student of the Year for Film and Video was presented to Cannon two weeks before he received the one for Employee of the Year. He said that he enjoys live video productions because they allow him to work at a fast pace.
“If you can’t take criticism, video production is not for you,” said Cannon. “You have to have thick skin to be in [it]…or in any mass media field. You have to have drive, will-power, a good work ethic, and good creative vision….”
Cannon’s keen eye for video production has been seen clearly from Nyquist’s perspective. “From the classroom standpoint,” said Nyquist, “Josh is the type of student who goes above and beyond what is necessary to get an A. He really takes on the classes with a lot of passion, and really wants to get things done.”
ITS Production Coordinator, Dale Rusche, has worked with Cannon for almost four years, and has learned many things from him. Cannon is responsible for recording footage, helping with streaming technology, and editing videos.
“He has been our most capable student worker that we have had,” said Rusche. “He basically schedules all of the resources needed going in, and runs the entire crew from start to finish, with minimal supervision on my part!”
Cannon’s plan for after graduation in December, is to work in a small production studio in Kansas City or Wichita. He also has the desire to film sports live for ESPN.
“If I am the producer/director, I am…telling the…people where to move the cameras, and what shots are going to be called,” said Cannon.
The mass media film and video program stands as one of the most popular at Washburn. Cannon will graduate with the technical skills and leadership qualities that will propel him into a rewarding career in the film industry.

Edited by Shelby Spradling, Jason Morrison