Opinion: Top three breakfast restaurants in Topeka

Aja Carter
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Topeka has many restaurants that serve breakfast, with The Big Biscuit, Hanover Pancake House and IHOP being the best.

Sometimes, it is hard to cook breakfast every single morning due to my busy schedule. Fortunately, there are three breakfast restaurants in Topeka that I can rely on for a succulent meal. These restaurants include The Big Biscuit, Hanover Pancake House and IHOP. Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, these places always provided me with a great one.

The Big Biscuit is located at 2815 SW Wanamaker Road and is open everyday from 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. It is an award-winning restaurant with creative takes on classic breakfast meals.

I enjoy this restaurant because the meals come in very big portions, so you will leave with a full stomach and plenty of leftovers. There is also a patio area to enjoy the fresh air and sunlight while eating. I recommend the biscuits and gravy because the buttermilk biscuits are huge and topped with delicious sausage gravy. I also recommend the bonuts, which are buttermilk biscuits that are fried in french toast batter and tossed in powdered sugar. I like to add whipped cream on mine but you can add your own toppings such as chocolate chips, blueberries, bananas, strawberries and more.

You can view the menu on their website and follow the restaurant on Instagram.

Hanover Pancake House is located at 1034 S Kansas Ave. and is open from 6 a.m to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. This family-owned restaurant has been open since 1969 and has been serving Topeka ever since.

The atmosphere is similar to a diner, so I felt very comfortable and at home. It also felt authentic since it is local and uses fresh ingredients to create their dishes. The Denver Omelette is made out of green peppers, red peppers, onions, diced ham and shredded cheese. The Burnett’s Mound Pancake Wrap is a very unique dish; it is a pancake wrap that is filled with scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, ham, sausage and cheese. I also found it generous that you can get 10% off your first online order and $5 off every $100 spent online.

You can explore more menu options on their website and download their app on Google Play Store or Apple Store to order ahead.

IHOP has three locations in Topeka, but my favorite one is located at 551 NW U.S. Highway 24 and is open 24 hours.

Since the staff was very helpful and friendly, this place felt perfect for enjoying breakfast with friends and family. Not many restaurants serve breakfast all day, so it was nice being able to get pancakes anytime I liked. The strawberry banana pancakes are my favorite because I love the combination of strawberries and bananas. The world-famous pancake combo was also very convenient since you can choose any two same-flavored pancakes and it is served with two eggs, two bacon strips or sausage links and hash browns.

You can learn more about IHOP and the menu on their website and download their app on Google Play Store or Apple Store to earn rewards.

If you are looking for a delicious filling breakfast along with great service and a welcoming environment, give these restaurants a try. These places will get you ready to take on the day.

Edited by Jeremy Ford and Jayme Thompson

View Comments (5)
$95
$500