Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Lake Shawnee offers a serene place for the Topeka community

A+view+of+Lake+Shawnee%E2%80%99s+sunset+sky.+The+lake+has+been+a+popular+destination+for+people+since+its+construction+in+1935.+
Courtesy of Shawnee Parks and Recreation
A view of Lake Shawnee’s sunset sky. The lake has been a popular destination for people since its construction in 1935.

Just on the edge of a city of nearly 126,000 people lies a piece of Topekan history in the form of a lake. Lake Shawnee has become a well-known stop for many as they travel through the capital city as well as Topeka citizens.

“It has been cited twice as a top travel destination in Kansas by the tourism industry and is visited by more than 1 million people each year,” said Cory Hollar, multimedia coordinator for Shawnee County Parks and Recreation.

The lake was started under the Works Progress Administration in 1935 as part of then-President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s second phase of the New Deal. The project was completed Sept. 3, 1939, and to celebrate, 5,000 local fishermen cast their rods out onto the blue water for the lake’s opening day.

However, Lake Shawnee is much more than a huge hole filled with water. The lake has undergone many renovations and expansions since its initial completion and now encompasses over 1,100 acres of scenery on the southeast side of Topeka.

Morgan Albrecht

Activities such as fishing, boating, sailing and swimming are just a few of the ways visitors can enjoy the lake. The park also has foot trails, a golf course, a marina, tennis courts, shelter houses, ball diamonds and a campground to host the myriad of events that take place at Lake Shawnee.

Hollar said he thinks the Spirit of Kansas on July 4, the Tulip Festival at the Lake and Smoke on the Water BBQ Competition are some of the most popular events the lake hosts.

On days when the park isn’t packed with thousands of people, Washburn students like Jiya Rai, sophomore nursing major, find it a place to disconnect and step away from their busy lives.

“I love Lake Shawnee because it’s really peaceful and the environment there is good,” Rai said. “I really love the sunsets over there, too.”

The lake offers a place for people to destress and take a moment to slow down to enjoy the little things in life. Deandre Harvey, junior integrated studies major, considers the lake one of his favorite parts of Topeka.

Morgan Albrecht

“My favorite things to do in Topeka are hanging out at the parks and sitting out at the lake because it’s a stress reliever for me,” Harvey said.

Lake Shawnee is a hidden gem sometimes forgotten in the hustle and bustle of the capital city, and for those who seek an escape from the craziness of life, Hollar recommends adventuring out to the park.

“It’s a tranquil place to exercise, relax or celebrate and is large enough for everyone in the community to enjoy,” Hollar said.

Whether they’re camping out while passing through the state or they live a few blocks away, Lake Shawnee is a special place for people. From the scenery to the activities to the peacefulness, Lake Shawnee is a must-go adventure.

Edited by Jayme Thompson and Jeremy Ford