DebateWatch events offer opportunities for discussion

Washburn University

TOPEKA – The second presidential debate of the election season and a replay of an earlier broadcast of the vice presidential debate will be the focus of DebateWatch events Tuesday, Oct. 7, and Thursday, Oct. 9, at the Mabee Library on the Washburn University campus. The public is welcome to all DebateWatch events.

On Oct. 7, Rachel Goossen, a member of the Washburn history faculty, will discuss the history of presidential debates at 7:30 p.m., followed by the broadcast of the second presidential debate.

On Oct. 9, Leslie Reynard, communication faculty member, will discuss “Presidential Elections as Ritual and Rhetoric” at 7:30 p.m., followed by the 8 p.m. replay of the vice presidential debate broadcast Oct. 2.

At the conclusion of the broadcasts, attendees will have the opportunity to participate in an intimate town hall style discussion. Those present may also participate in an instant polling project using the university’s clicker system, coordinated by the department of mass media.

DebateWatch events will continue with the broadcast of the final presidential debate on Wednesday, Oct. 15.

Participants may also bring canned goods to donate to the Can Emporia food drive, coordinated by Washburn Student Government Association. For more information, call 670-1855.

DebateWatch is sponsored by Mabee Library, KTWU, Friends of Mabee Library, Student Friends of Mabee Library, University Honors Program, Washburn Student Government Association and the departments of communication, mass media, history and political science.