Welcome Week aims to create an atmosphere of success for new and returning students

Lisa Herdman

Music, games and activities will be hosted by Washburn University Aug. 13 to 18 to welcome and acquaint new students and start off a new semester.

The week, named Welcome Week, will help new students get comfortable with the campus and will give new and returning students the chance to take part in activities hosted every night at Washburn, including “Scorch on the Porch,” which provides live music, a $5 meal deal and a sidewalk sale.

“We want students to know that Washburn is their home away from home,” said Mckinlaye Harkavy, director of new student orientation. “This gives us a chance to teach new students traditions and Ichabod pride, as well as get them acquainted with the campus.”

Harkavy said creating the atmosphere for students is the key to success to grow and learn, as well as giving students the comfort of feeling like they made the right choice to come to Washburn.

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center wants to help acclimate students as well, hosting two events that will get students to interact with each other and showcase what is available to do on campus.

These include the “Washburn Run,” which will give students exercise and show them around campus and the surrounding area, and “Rock the Rec,” which will include group activities and giveaways.

“Welcome Week gives students a chance to acclimate to college life and gives us the opportunity to show what the campus has to offer,” said John Cummings, associate director at the Recreation and Wellness Center. ”We want students to find something that they are passionate about and get together with other people interested in the same things they are.”

A list of activities and times is provided on the Washburn website for students interested in taking part in the festivities.

“We try to give students a little bit of everything,” Harkavy said. “We can’t wait to share our traditions and pride with newcomers.”