Washburn Alumni Association sponsors ‘Washburn Night at the K’

Rachel Lynn Rocha

The Washburn Alumni Association sponsored a ‘Washburn Night at the K’ at on Sept. 1 at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City. Washburn students could purchase discounts tickets to watch the Royals game with their peers against the Detroit Tigers.

The gates opened at 5:30p.m. but students arrived as early at noon to tailgate with their peers. Dr. Farley started the game by throwing the first pitch. The presentation of the flags was presented by the Color Guard followed by the Washburn Singers performing the National Anthem.

Anthony Gose of the Detroit Tigers scored the first run of the game in the top of the 1st inning. As the top of the 2nd approached, Detroit’s Nick Castellanos and Tyler Collins both scored.

Finally in the bottom of the 2nd, the Royal’s Eric Hosmer scored. However, Detroit remained in the lead in the top of the 4th as Jose Ingesias scored a run.

As an attempt to even the score, Kendrys Morales hit a home run, closing in on the Tiger’s 4-2 lead.

The remaining innings saw a home run from Detroit’s Ian Kinsler, followed by a run from Gose. The Royals finished off the game scoring three more runs but were unable to catch the Tigers.

Detroit had five pitchers which included Justin Verlander, Alex Wilson, Blaine Hardy, Neftali Feliz and Bruce Rondon.Royals had three pitching changes, Johnny Cueto, Miguel Almonte and Jeremy Guthrie.

Slugger and Ichabod teamed up to take pictures with game attendees. Freshman Courtney Coder, an actuarial science major said, “I love when I am able to go to the Royals games, even though I’m now living an hour and a half away. I also loved having a Washburn night at the K, that way I’m able to support my favorite boys and my favorite college as well.”

Washburn Senior, Jacob Stone, lead “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” during the 7th Inning Stretch. Freshman Zack Hanson, a political science major said, “The only thing better than celebrating our boys in blue was doing it with our Washburn family.”

The game ended with Detroit taking the win 8-7. A total of 15,000 people attended the game.