Civil rights leader John Lewis to present iRead lecture

Anna Ciummo

This year’s iRead lecturer, Rep. John Lewis, will discuss his books at White Concert Hall at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 14.

The congressman is the author of “March” books one and two, which depict the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s in graphic novel form. His books are his own biography and his life as a young adult during this time.

Sean Bird, associate dean of the Mabee Library, held a book discussion of “March” on Monday, Oct. 12. He believes that Lewis’s visit to Washburn will reinvigorate students’ passion to engage in the world beyond campus.

“It will be a reminder to students that the struggle of Civil Rights hasn’t ended,” said Bird.

Lewis’s story also greatly affects student readers. All freshmen in the First Year Experience program or WU 101, were required to read the books for class.

“I really appreciated the message of the book,” said Kyle Tengari, freshman chemistry major. “The graphic novel format gave me a bigger connection with the story, and that sparked my imagination.”

Although Tengari is unable to attend Lewis’s lecture on Wednesday, he was excited to hear that the event was coming to campus.

“It’ll be a unique experience. I’ll regret not being able to go,” Tengari said.

Bird encourages students to attend as many events as possible, but Lewis’s lecture is highly recommended.

“Take every opportunity you can get,” Bird urged.