President Farley has a message for spring graduates

‘Thank you’: Washburn University President Jerry Farley talks about the potential of a face-to-face commencement for spring 2020 graduates, in the future. Farley also thanked students for being understanding while in the transition to remote delivery.

Wesley Tabor

A WU announcement email for graduation candidates was sent out campus-wide Monday. Enclosed was a video from President Farley, who provided an update on Washburn’s plans for the remainder of the academic year.

The video began with President Farley thanking students.

“Thank you for your flexibility and understanding during this unbelievable time,” said Farley. “We are moving classes to a remote delivery platform and have closed some on-campus facilities.”

The changes come amid the outbreak of COVID-19.

“It is a time of rapid change – no doubt. The campus community has exercised every reasonable precaution to prevent the spread of the virus [COVID-19] and keep you safe,” said Farley.

In the video announcement, Farley shared the tough decision to cancel spring commencement.

“This was a very difficult decision, and one that leaves me personally disappointed for the graduating class of 2020,” said Farley. “I was hoping we could still hold the commencement, but the restrictions on large gatherings give us no choice.”

Then Farley shared that the executive staff isn’t giving their hopes up.

“We are working on a way to recognize your accomplishments, and we do hope to have a celebration face-to-face in the future,” said Farley.

There were no further details for when the potential commencement to celebrate spring 2020 graduates would occur.

Farley concluded by giving students encouragement.

“We ask each of you to stay focused on finishing the semester – even though this has been one of the most unusual semesters ever. Thank you for being an Ichabod,” said Farley.

Edited by Adam White, Hannah Alleyne, Joelle Conway