Fire near campus torches abandoned house

Video Mark Feuerborn Footage and photography courtesy of Ryan Masotto and Sarah Nordeen

Flames broke out in a house on 21st St. across from campus last night, Feb. 18, causing $13,000 in damage to the building. The building had not been leased in several years, so no one was inside at the time of the incident. Ryan Masotto, a junior music major, resides in the house next door to the abandoned house, and was on scene when the fire sparked.

“I was coming back from the library and I initially thought it was my house,” Masotto said. “I went back and saw flames from 30 to 50 feet high. Embers were flying as far as a block away due to the wind. The tops of the trees were even catching on fire around the house.”

No one was injured during the incident.