Zeta Tau Alpha creates connections with tabling events

Kenzie McCoy

Zeta Tau Alphas (ZTA) successful “Think Pink Week,” which ran from Feb. 29 to March 3 and raised over $3,000 for breast cancer awareness, doesnt mark the end of the sororitys awareness efforts. On April 11, ZTA hosted a “Think Pink” decorated table in Memorial Union from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The brightly-decorated table offered passing students a chance to learn more about ZTA’s philanthropy activities and other Greek life information. Big, pink letters spelling out “Think Pink” centered the table, while breast cancer ribbons and a large jug of pink lemonade outlined the corners of the colorful and crowded table, which was centered outside the Corner Store.

“I’m glad I’m participating in this [tabling] event today,” said Danielle Hall, sophomore history major and ZTA member. “It’s a way we can get our philanthropy out there so people know what it is and people can come and support it. I love sitting here and hanging out with my sisters and meeting new people so I feel like it’s a great way for us to be involved in the Washburn community.”

The ZTA table is used during the hustle and bustle of the Union at lunchtime, and sorority members at the table use their communication skills to grab the attention of students, hand out the pink lemonade and potentially recruit new members.

ZTA sets up a table in the Union at least once a month and advisor Dana Maurizio said that all student organizations should take advantage of tabling in the Union as an opportunity to get students involved.

“I think that all student organizations can get their name out there and meet new people on campus through tabling and get students involved in student organizations as a whole,” Maurizio said. “We are trying to get the name for Greek life out there and get more people involved in student organizations and Greek life at Washburn.”

ZTA will be hosting its “Kiss Away Cancer” event from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 15 in the Union.