Casino Night attracts new and returning students

Students gathered, dressed up and ready to play, around a poker table to partake in blackjack. This was only one of the many tables and games that students could participate in inside of the Washburn A/B Room.

Shayndel Jones

Washburn students of all ages, backgrounds and majors gathered in the upper level of the Memorial Union in Washburn A/B to witness Casino Night on August 20 from 7 to 10 p.m.

This event is one of many Welcome Week activities to kick off the new academic year and help incoming and returning students become excited about Washburn University. Students were dressed in formal attire for this event.

“This is my third year of coming here,” said Doralynn Mellinger, junior nursing major. “I am very excited.”

Students were able to experience the fun and glamour that is Las Vegas on the Washburn campus, complete with bright flashing lights, colorful decorations and games of all kinds.

A giant flashing arch that read “Casino” welcomed students into the game room. Upon entering, students received a red cup containing a single yellow chip. They cashed in the yellow chip to play and then increased or decreased their holdings based on their luck at each table.

Set up inside the game room were tables for prizes and finger foods, as well as several games like Poker, Black Jack, Craps, Plinko, Roulette and others on regulation size tables. Students moved between tables based on their luck. They were able to enjoy mocktails and socialize while playing casino games to win prizes.

The prizes ranged from small items like candy bars, cleaning supplies and school supplies to items such as a miniature refrigerator, a Keurig and several other items for dorm rooms.

“I am excited to win some prizes,” said Mary Bartell, sophomore business major. “I haven’t played any games yet, but I am super pumped.”

Students were mostly excited about the fun-filled atmosphere and the chance to win some prizes