Washburn looks toward major campus changes in the near future

Washburn+will+see+quite+a+few+changes+to+its+campus+in+the+near+future.+Read+more+to+get+an+idea+of+what+the+future+of+Washburn+will+look+like.+
Courtesy of wubodtalk
Washburn will see quite a few changes to its campus in the near future. Read more to get an idea of what the future of Washburn will look like.

Getting a new president on campus has brought a different POV to the changes needed to be made for the betterment of Washburn. Soon, students will see a change to the campus atmosphere as there are huge plans for the beautification and accessibility of our buildings.

It has been confirmed that the Mabee Library will no longer be at the center of campus but will be relocated to 1731 Plass, the old law school. In our discussions with students on this matter, some have voiced their concern of the library being too far from the Village and Lincoln. Plass is located near the LLC and is a walk across multiple parking lots. 

This move will include everything that was offered in the library. The education department will also be moving into Plass. Throughout this semester, Plass has been under renovations to ensure space and accessibility within the building. 

Carole Chapel is now open to iCard holders. The electronic lock on the building allows students, faculty or staff  to enter the Chapel from 7am-7pm. 

Another big change will be Henderson which is getting a full makeover and should be ready for its big reveal in 2027. After a large donation from Advisors Excel Henderson will be renamed Advisors Excel Hall. The company has a long relationship with Washburn as the co-founders Cody Fosters and David Callanan attended and graduated from the university. 

Benton had a run in with mold earlier this semester and the problem seems to be unfixable. The building will be knocked down and allow for some more green space on campus. Departments located in Benton will be moved to Mabee. 

The Art Department is having major issues with their sculpture equipment and have asked the university over the years for more space for the tools needed. Students came to Student Media requesting help and awareness. 

Since the Art Department is not a popular major on campus most of their display cabinets and tools are outdated. They are also running out of space to store projects and material. The university is searching for a place off campus for the sculpture problem but students wished they created a place on campus instead. Administration is actively discussing the issue to create a solution.

Finally, President JuliAnn Mazachek’s home will be opened in August with plans set to have students over to enjoy food and check out the bottom half of the home. 

View Comments (1)
$295
$500