Sangyoub Park creates interest in sociology department

Sangyoub Park, associate professor of sociology, wants to create a platform for students to utilize sociological knowledge and skills in the community. In Park’s perspective, learning sociology is not just about reading textbooks and journal articles, it’s also about learning by practicing sociology.

In addition to regular events like the SO310 Introduction to Sociology Annual Diaper Drive, Park tries to have at least one cultural event every semester, such as the Lunar New Year celebration this semester.

“… sometimes we are learning by using a textbook and journal article, but by creating a lot of hands-on activity outside the classroom, and students have a chance to kind of utilize what they learn outside the classroom,” Park said.

Park also enjoys interacting with students. Having direct interactions outside the classroom helps Park and his students learn about each other and feel close to them.

Abigail Fox, senior business major, shared her SO100 Introduction to Sociology class experience with Professor Park.

“I had Park for SO100. He makes the classes very easy to understand. It’s very straightforward,” Fox said. “The articles are relevant and interesting. He harbors a sense of community to understand other classmates, to understand other cultures, to expand your worldview and try to grow as a person to understand why things are happening the way they are.”

Park’s vision is to use these on-campus events to make Washburn a more inviting and welcoming place and to encourage students to get involved in the community. He wants students to know that they can be part of the solution. Maria Villegas, junior sociology major, shared about what Park contributed to the Washburn community.

“I feel that I have formed a greater connection with him especially since he is my advisor,” Villegas said. “He has helped, especially this community, a lot in bringing awareness to others, his culture, and to other parts of the Asian community. He’s very helpful to all of us, and he really does try to make an impact in this community, specifically because there’s not a big population of students that come from Asian culture.”

Park’s goal is to make the sociology and anthropology department more visible on campus. Park will have 14 students who will have finished their study abroad in Japan, East Asia and South Korea over the summer. Next semester, he is planning to have a cultural event related to East Asia since it will be related to the class SO316 Japan & East Asia.

Edited by: Morgan Albrecht and Jeremy Ford