REC Madness encourages Ichabods to make new friends

Washburn celebrates REC Madness March 20, at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. The event lasted from 4 – 6 p.m. and saw over 200 attendees.

The event covered sports and games like archery, table tennis, control car race, mini basketballs, mini golf and much more. Lakin Wiseman, freshman occupational therapy major, works at the SRWC and was in charge of the aerobic station at the event. She shares her experience about the event.

“I think it is fun to meet new people and try all the events,” Wiseman said. “It is a great way to get your mind off studying.”

After registration, the audience can also get a chance to get other gifts, such as dry shampoo and another free T-shirt, with the Ichabod Wheel of Fortune. Another way that the audience could get an extra gift was by joining the exercise challenge of the SRWC during the event.

Some of the activities at the event had students fill a liability form. The form was used for the rock wall, yoga and archery. Whitney Slater, director of the SRWC, explained how the process works.

“There is always a risk when you are participating in physical activities,” Slater said. “Since we do have a few more that are kind of outside your traditional exercising, we just wanted to make sure that we have people aware that they are volunteering in these activities.”

Rec Madness is a new concept that the recreational center is trying this year. The SRWC used to do a spring event called Late Night at the Rec, which usually happened at 9 p.m. This year, there are a few changes to the spring event.

“We wanted to try something in the spring, maybe with a little bit nicer weather,” Slater said. “We came up with this Rec Madness event to just try something a bit different for students to come back to the Rec and maybe have some fun and win some prizes and T-shirts and stuff.”

In the official poster for the event for the Rec Madness, it mentioned ax throwing as a part of the activities. It was later canceled due to unforeseen circumstances.

“We ended up having some issues with the insurance, with their company, with what our campus wanted to see,” Slater said. “Our timeline just could not make it work to get everything back in order to bring them to campus, but we are hopeful to do it down the road at another event.”

Usually with late night events, there used to be about 200 students in the two hour event. Slater is hopeful of keeping this consistent record.

“We are hopeful to be at least around 100 or 150 [students],” Slater said. “We will reevaluate after this event and see if we wanna maybe go back to the old model of hosting a little bit later in the evening.”

There was pot painting on the second level of the SRWC. Students were provided art materials and mud pots to paint any designs. Avigya Ghimire, freshman psychology major, expressed her experience in the event.

“I had a lot of fun at archery,” Ghimire said. “I did not know I would be able to spend time painting on pots, but here we are.”

Snacks were provided in the gym room where students could go to grab a bite. Upcoming spring events are a great way of socializing among students.

Edited by Jeremy Ford and Aja Carter