Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Established 1885

The Washburn Review

Ichabods lose close game to Northwest Missouri State University

Photo courtesy of Rex Wolf
Michael Keegan, junior guard, sets up for a shot late in the game. Keegan contributed 16 points to the Ichabods’ 72.

Determined to prevent a Northwest Missouri State University sweep Feb. 10, the men’s basketball team started the game trying to avenge the women’s loss, which took place prior to their matchup.

The Ichabods started out strong, winning the tip, hitting Andrew Orr, junior forward, in the paint for two, and setting up Sam Ungashick, sophomore guard, for a bucket, giving Washburn a quick 4-0 lead.

But soon, Northwest found their groove and lit up the scoreboard with three consecutive 3-pointers, demolishing Washburn’s 4 points.

The Ichabods continued to struggle guarding the Bearcats’ on the perimeter and trailed close behind for the first part of the half.

Jarmell Johnson, sophomore guard, knew this matchup would require the team to lock in and focus on making shots to keep up with Northwest’s talented offense.

“We knew that they weren’t going to let us get [the shots] we normally get in this game, like easy post touches and easy wide open shots,” Johnson said. “We knew that it was gonna be a tough game…because Northwest is an all around good team.”

Fortunately, things started to look up for Washburn when Michael Keegan, junior guard, made a nab at the ball and came out with a steal, which led to an elbow shot made by Orr, closing the Bearcat lead to one.

On the next possession, thanks to a block by Keegan, the Ichabods had a chance to take the lead. As the ball came down the court, Keegan dished a pass to Orr who was fouled and sent to the free throw line where he went 1-for-2, tying the game 17-17 with nine minutes left in the half.

Northwest was able to hit a hot streak going on an 8-2 run late in the half, but Washburn responded with points from Johnson, Brady Christiansen, sophomore forward, Zaid Dajani, sophomore guard, and Keegan to end the first half up 39-38.

In the locker room, Brett Ballard, head coach, knew the game was going to be one of the most physically and mentally challenging games of the season.

“We always know that when we play Northwest it’s going to be a mental and physical battle, and I thought for the most part our guys handled that well,” Ballard said. “We pride ourselves on playing hard and with toughness so that is something we try to prepare for all year long.”

As the action resumed on the court, Ungashick brought his coach’s words to fruition and scored the first points of the second half off of a steal that led to an uncontested layup. Johnson followed suit, fighting for a loose ball and trying for a layup, but missed, grabbed his own rebound and scored on the put-back.

The Ichabods kept up with the Bearcats’ offensive game late into the half. After multiple lead changes, the teams found themselves tied at 66 with two and a half minutes left in the game. Northwest knocked down a 3-pointer and four free throws over the next few possessions and the Ichabods were down 69-73 as the clock neared zero.

A glimpse of hope arose with six seconds left, as Christiansen looked to pass the ball to Keegan, who was setting up for a shot behind the arc. Christiansen earned the assist after Keegan swished the shot and put the Ichabods down one with just seconds on the clock.

The Bearcats quickly scored a layup giving them a 75-72 advantage.

In a last ditch effort, Ungashick scrambled down the court and threw up a shot, barely before the buzzer sounded, but missed, causing the Bearcats to come out on top and secure the win.

Edited by Stuti Khadka and Jeremy Ford