Casey Steward shares his journey to the MLB

photo courtesy Washburn Athletics
Casey Steward improved his game significantly between his freshman and senior year at Washburn. In his freshman year, he posted a 5.79 earned run average compared to 4.25 his senior year, and he went from throwing 14 innings his freshman year to 82.2 his senior year.

After attending Washburn for four years, Casey Steward got the call by the Philadelphia Phillies letting him know he was going to be a professional baseball player. Ever since Steward was a little boy, he always dreamed of playing baseball professionally.

He knew he had to be a hard worker and that it was going to take a lot of patience. Originally from Wichita, Kansas, Steward went to Wichita East High School before attending Washburn University to pursue his baseball and academic career. Steward was a kinesiology major at Washburn, and he was very interested in the subject.

Steward left his mark at Washburn on the baseball field by receiving six athletic awards and an academic award as well. Some of the athletic awards he received were MIAA Second-Team, CSC All District Team, MIAA Pitcher of the week, NCBWA Central Region Pitcher of the week and he tied Washburn’s single-season strikeout record with 110. Steward is also proud of his academic awards, which includes MIAA Academic Honor Roll all four years and a two-time MIAA Scholar Athlete in 2022 and 2023. Although his success is highlighted in these awards, Steward has much more to be proud of.

“Honestly, I just wanted to leave a mark at Washburn and be remembered as a guy who gave everything he had on and off the field,” Steward said. “I knew the results would come eventually, but I always wanted to have a chip on my shoulder and be the hardest worker on the team. I was always a quiet guy who just wanted to get things done and do them the right way.”

Steward improved his game significantly between his freshman and senior year at Washburn. In his freshman year, he posted a 5.79 earned run average compared to 4.25 his senior year, and he went from throwing 14 innings his freshman year to 82.2 his senior year.

“I think I always had confidence when I got to Washburn, but I needed to gain a little bit of experience,” Steward said. “I knew I could always play a big role for the team I just didn’t know when it was going to happen. I had a pretty good idea I was going to become a starter after my first year here, but I needed to keep working hard.”

On July 11, 2023, all of Steward’s dreams came true when he got the call from the Philadelphia Phillies and was told he was going to be a big leaguer. Steward was selected in the 19th round and was the 583rd pick overall in the draft.

“When I got the news, I was so excited, but I knew there was still work to do,” Steward said. “As my first dream came true, I now have a new one of working my way up and pitching in the big leagues. If that day ever comes then I will have met all my dreams and that would be the best day of my life.”

Steward has only been with the team for a few months now and has already been promoted to Low-A Clearwater. There are several destinations a professional baseball player must go before he is in the majors. Each player starts in rookie ball and has to work up to A-ball, AA and AAA before he is in the major leagues.

“I am so happy my brother has the opportunity to live out his dream of becoming a professional baseball player,” said Calvin Steward, Casey’s brother. “He has worked so hard for this and has deserved every bit of it. I remember seeing how determined he was to work harder after practice on his own because he always had bigger goals than everyone else. He truly has been one of my biggest role models in life and I can’t wait to see where he goes.”

Ichabod nation is extremely proud of Casey Steward and all his accomplishments and cannot wait to see him pitch for the Philadelphia Phillies one day.