‘Woke culture’: Ichabods’ views on the controversial social trend

How do Bods feel about ‘woke culture’?
The infamous concept “woke culture”, has taken the world by storm especially with it’s current representation in the news and media. It has become an extremely divisive concept and people in the U.S. cannot seem to agree whether being “woke” is a good or bad thing.
(Graphic by Jaycie Regnier)

A topic that is dominating headlines all over the U.S. is “woke culture” and how it is being represented in the media. In the last few years the term “woke” has become a political obsession for news organizations and social media platforms such as Tik Tok, Instagram and Twitter. The concept seems to have set a cultural divide between those who support the movement and those who claim it has gone overboard.

The question is, what do people on campus know about woke culture? And how do they feel about how it is portrayed in the media?

According to Merriam Webster, the term “woke” is to be aware and actively attentive to important societal acts and issues, especially with issues of racism and social justice. However, there is a wide variety of definitions out there that describe woke culture, so it can be difficult for people to understand what it actually means.

“I think woke is generally a way to describe people who are more aware of social and political issues that are going on in the world, but people who use woke unironically, now use it as a joke,” said Nicole Malinverni, senior psychology major. “So ideally you would want to be woke, but don’t want to be associated with it because they use it so negatively now.”

One of the most popular subjects people are focusing on in the media is how people believe “woke culture” manifests itself in movies, TV shows, Youtube and Tik Tok videos.

“In my experience, when someone says woke culture they are talking about an over exaggerated or maybe an overcorrection of political politeness,” said Taylor Hunt, adjunct philosophy instructor. “It’s people say[ing] things like, ‘oh that TV show or Youtube creator is too woke for me to watch.’ To me that means that piece of media or that person is over perceived as over-exuberant about certain social political issues and is applying political standards to things that these standards don’t need to be applied to.”

An example of a film that received tons of backlash was the remastered version of The Little Mermaid that was released in May 2023 starring Hallee Bailey. Many were excited to see that Disney had inclusive casting, especially in the star role where Bailey, who is biracial, portrayed Ariel. Not everyone felt the same way as some people saw this as Disney’s attempt to promote their woke standards, which they believed was unneeded in a children’s film.

“I understand why race, in some cases, should not be changed in stories because that is significant to the story; but in the new Little Mermaid, that is not the case,” said Madeline Heart, junior criminal justice major. “The story had nothing to do with her race and all of the mermaids were supposed to represent the seven continents so they are supposed to look different. The story didn’t change and it just seems like people are just wanting to find issues with something.”

A big part of the woke culture argument that has been circulating the media, is whether the discussion of sexuality or LGBTQ+ topics should be allowed in schools. Some believe there is a definite need for inclusive sex education and representation, while others believe it is starting too young and want the parents to be involved with learning those topics.

“I don’t have a problem with it but I am not actively supporting it,” said Demarques Hinds, freshman engineering major. “I do not like it being pushed to kids especially when it’s talking about things like sexuality or sexual identity. Kids are not even worried about those things at a young age and I don’t think young people are ready to talk about it.”

The term “woke” is still extremely relevant in society, yet people are wanting to disassociate with the idea, because of the negativeness that seems to surround it.

“I have noticed that if we do things to accommodate other people, that will make future generations somehow weak, emotionally or politically sensitive where we aren’t able to do anything,” Hunt said. “I don’t see how that could be the case. There is no strength that falls from excluding people.”

There are countless perceptions of what is considered “woke” and what is simply “keeping up with the times” especially comparing society to how it was 20 years ago. Linsey Moddelmog, associate professor in political science, uses an example from when she went to see stand up comedian, Craig Ferguson.

“He explained how he wanted to tell jokes and be funny, but he understands how different the world is today,” Moddelmog said. “I can see how this can be perceived different ways, especially when he said ‘Please don’t judge me for something I said in 2002.’ He has a new cultural understanding and was trying to be respectful to everyone as we all are working to do better now in these times.”

With all of the mixed opinions and interpretations, “woke culture” remains a hot topic in the U.S. and will not lose steam for a long time. “Woke culture” will keep evolving as society and politics are forever changing.

“I hear woke culture and I think of just being polite and kind,” Moddelmog said. “If someone tells you ‘these are my pronouns,’ I don’t need to know why, how or who you are, I am just a kind person and I would respond in a respectful way. It is good manners to be respectful of one another.”

“Woke culture” will keep evolving as society and politics are forever changing.

In your own words how would you describe the term “woke” or “woke culture”? Let us know in the comments.

Edited by Sydney Peterson and Jayme Thompson

View Comments (3)
$95
$500