JoAnna Marks makes a positive impact on students at Washburn

JoAnna Marks, a junior political science major, is a kind spirit on Washburn’s campus. Marks’ peers recognized her as caring and selfless. (Aja Carter)

JoAnna Marks is a junior political science major, and the diversity and inclusion director for the Washburn Student Government Association. She is recognized as kind, caring and selfless by her friends inside WSGA.

She chose Washburn “to pursue a political science major because Washburn is the best law school in Kansas, and the capital is close by,” Marks said.

Joining WSGA is what kickstarted Marks to become more active on campus and within the Washburn community. Marks was convinced to join by her friends.

“Honestly, I didn’t think I wanted to join WSGA. At first, a lot of my friends were in it, and they kind of convinced me to join because I wasn’t very involved on campus, and I did want to do something and get involved,” Marks said.

Sierra Jeter, senior political science major, and health and wellness director of WSGA saw much of herself in Marks and believed that she could fulfill the position of diversity and inclusion director in WSGA.

“I was a big advocate for getting her involved within WSGA as well as her applying to be director. I was in her corner the whole time. We both are outspoken, super friendly, considerate and want good things for the Washburn student body,” Jeter said.

Marks has made a positive impact at Washburn and in WSGA. Emma Froese, senior mass media major and the communications and marketing director for WSGA, believes that she spreads her humor, kindness and selflessness within anything she is a part of, and that she is open and welcoming to anyone and everyone here at Washburn.

“I noticed that sitting next to her, she always comes in and says ‘hi.’ She doesn’t ever make you feel like you’re not supposed to be there. The best thing about her is her humor. We always have a good laugh even when we aren’t supposed to,” Froese said.

JoAnna works at her desk inside the WSGA office. JoAnna worked at her desk inside of the WSGA office. (Malachi Lewis)

Marks’ positivity and compassion can be seen throughout the friendships she has made with her coworkers.

“JoAnna is giving, considerate and sometimes too selfless. Sometimes I tell her, I think she should be more selfish, in my opinion. She isn’t afraid to be a leader and not afraid to speak her mind and be outspoken about what she feels is true,” Jeter said.

She has enjoyed her experience at Washburn, and the many opportunities and benefits that being a student at Washburn brings such as internships, scholarships and study abroad programs. Marks is planning to go on a study abroad trip in the summer.

“I haven’t got to go on one yet, but I’m planning for the summer to go on one. I think Washburn is very good for that and giving their students opportunities to travel. It’s very good since a lot of Washburn students are from smaller towns,” Marks said.

Marks has impacted the Washburn community with her ability to take charge and her friendliness. She has a passion for making Washburn a better place.

Edited by Jayme Thompson and Larissa Morgan