The Ichabod Lightning team takes intramural volleyball by storm

+Ichabod+Lightning+team+celebrate+after+their+first+game+as+a+team.+The+Ichabod+Lightning+team+won+2-0.+
Courtesy of Maddie Herken
Ichabod Lightning team celebrate after their first game as a team. The Ichabod Lightning team won 2-0.

Ichabod Lightning is an intramural volleyball team on campus that was formed this year and have won all their games this season. The team consists of eight women who came together and made joyful memories ever since.

The captain of Ichabod Lighting is Lydia Alvarado, freshman pre-law major, who also formed the team, and the co-captain is Lakin Wiseman, a freshman occupational therapy major.

The team was formed by Alvarado who had noticed that all eight girls had a love for volleyball and wanted to get them together so they could play the sport they loved.

The team was formed just from having a conversation about their interest in volleyball. Alvarado saw the opportunity of possibly forming an intramural volleyball team with a group of friends from their conversation.

“I formed a group chat and I was like, hey, we want to do this because I think it’d be really fun and it’d be a great way to get us all together and we just have a great group of girls with a great friend group.”

Elyse Hubbard, sophomore forensic investigation major, shared her thoughts on the bond she gained from Ichabod Lighting intramural volleyball team.

“I wasn’t on a volleyball team last year, and I think it really helped me [to] create more of a bond to the people,” said Hubbard. “It’s also kind of fun to meet more girls I probably wouldn’t know.”

Being able to meet new people and spend time with friends while having fun, is something that both Hubbard and Alvarado share a love for.

“Each of these girls bring some sort of light, some joy, some creativity and fun to the team,” Alvarado said. “It just really brought us all together to be able to have that one thing in common and be able to come together, do something we all enjoy. I look forward to it every week.”

There are many opportunities on campus for students to join an intramural team or make a team. Learn more about what intramural sports at Washburn is available here and also to watch your fellow classmates the schedule link is here.

Edited by Aja Carter and LeSha’ Davis