Convocation ceremony welcomes incoming freshmen

President+JuliAnn+Mazachek+finishes+with+her+closing+statements+in+her+Convocation+speech.+The+ceremony+was+held+in+Lee+Arena+Aug.+24.+
Jaycie Regnier
President JuliAnn Mazachek finishes with her closing statements in her Convocation speech. The ceremony was held in Lee Arena Aug. 24.

On Thursday, August 24, 2023, incoming freshmen filled Lee Arena to attend this year’s convocation ceremony and to meet President JuliAnn Mazachek. Washburn’s Marching Band, Dancing Blues, student orientation counselors and peer educators and faculty members cheered for the new students as they entered the assembly.

Kassie Mcmanus, senior social work major and SOC greeted the students with applause as they walked into Lee Arena.

“Our job is to be there to welcome new students and to make them feel more comfortable at orientation and events like this,” Mcmanus said. “It’s fun to see the freshman excited and to get to chat with them.”

Mazachek’s convocation speech sent an inspiring message to the new students as she formally welcomed them to campus and gave them words of wisdom for the journey ahead.

“Today is so good, this is a day of celebration,” Mazachek said. “Like we say all the time; you belong at Washburn, but we sincerely believe it.”

Mazacheck talked about the uncertainties freshman face and shared advice she wishes someone had told her when she was starting as a first-generation college student.

“Your college experience is truly a discovery process,” Mazachek said. “Washburn’s faculty and staff are here to challenge you and support you to be your very best.”

Freshman were invited to meet and greet with peer educators from different major concentrations that are offered at Washburn following Mazachek’s speech.

Lada Pestrikova, freshman modern language major, an exchange student from Russia, attended the convocation assembly and shared her excitement for her first semester.

“I am very excited to be in the U.S and getting to be here at Washburn studying since I did not get the same opportunities at my home university,” Pestrikova said.

Mazachek ended the convocation ceremony by mentioning Washburn University’s motto, “non nobis solum,” and how the relationships between students and faculty members are at the core of everyone’s success at Washburn.

“Together we will live our motto as Ichabods striving to be the best version of ourselves while making a difference for those around us,” Mazacheck said. “That’s how we thrive and that’s what we mean when we say, ‘go Bods!’”

Edited by LeSha’ Davis and Karli Bayliss

View Comments (2)
$95
$500