Resources every Washburn student should know about

Credit: Photo by Doug Stremel

Washburn university provides various services. The university, itself was founded in 1865.

Amongst all the services provided in Washburn, there are some services that are overshadowed. Here are some that you you might not know about:

College News Source app: College News Source is a mobile app that lets students read the Washburn Review news articles. All news articles that come out are automatically updated and you can add other university newspapers as well. The app also sends out notifications whenever anything is updated.

Gaming room: Washburn recently opened a gaming room where the students can relax, engage with each other and have fun. It is located on the second floor of the Living Learning Center (LLC) and has 24 competitive gaming PCs, two gaming console stations (PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo) and two table-top gaming tables. The gaming room also has various games including League of Legends, Valorant, Hearthstone, FIFA and many more.

This space is open to everyone regardless of whether you are a competitive, casual or novice gamer.
Discounts: The Ichabod Shop has weekly discounts on Fridays where if students wear any Washburn merchandise, they get 20% off on one of their purchases (must have the Washburn logo in it). The Ichabod shop calls it “WU-Friday.”

Additionally, to be on top of all the discounts and sales going on, subscribing to the email for the Ichabod shop is optimum. They will send out occasional emails when they have secret sales and discounts.

Separate room testing: Washburn’s Diversity and Inclusion office provides a unique feature where students with a disability can take their tests separately in a distraction-reduced environment. Disability can mean mental health (anxiety, depression, or any other mental health disorder) as well as a physical or learning disability.

For more information, reach out to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion either through their email at [email protected] or by dropping in at their office located in Morgan Hall room 105.

Math labs: If you are struggling with mathematics, especially courses numbered MA 151 and below, math labs are the way to go. The mathematics and statistics department has two free tutoring facilities on campus at no cost or appointment.
One math lab is located in Mabee Library room 304. This lab is usually staffed by two full-time mathematics faculty members and peer tutors. The lab specializes in tutoring students in MA 116 and under. Students in higher math courses are encouraged to visit the Mathematics Tutoring Center in Morgan Hall room 252.

The Mabee Library lab is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. whereas the Morgan lab is open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. They also host Zoom hours from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. from Monday through Thursday.

Counseling services in Washburn: Being a university student can be stressful, hence why Washburn provides free counseling services. This is an opportunity for students to explore and improve their mental health and well-being.
The office of counseling service is located in Kuehne Hall suite 200, which is open from Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The easiest method to make an appointment is to either go to Kuehne Hall or call 785-670-3100.

Edited: LeSha’ Davis and Alijah McCracken