Allan Holzman showcases new film, ‘C-C-C-ut.’

Tuesday, Oct. 25, the Washburn Filmmakers Association invited Allan Holzman, film director and editor, to showcase his new autobiography, “C-C-Cut.”

WFA and other students got the first look at this film, which depicts Holzman’s journey in filmmaking and the challenges he faced in the industry having a stutter. The audience was taken through several emotions throughout the film as they got a closer look into Holzman’s life.

After watching the film, Holzman joined the event via Zoom for feedback and questions. The audience agreed that the movie overall was powerful and were thankful to be the first audience to view it.

During the Q&A session, Holzman expressed his love for films, editing and directing. He also gave students advice on getting work in the film industry. Holzman encouraged each student to pursue their passions and spend time perfecting their crafts.

For a moment, Holzman was brought to tears while discussing the impact of being recognized as an artist in the industry, which he didn’t consider himself to be before.

“It’s its own word, you know, which I didn’t know honestly. It was meaningful and what it meant to me and … I never intended to be an artist and I didn’t grow up being an artist,” said Holzman. “I didn’t go into life being an artist, but I think I am.”

Matthew Nyquist, advisor of WFA and assistant professor of mass media film and video, spoke on the importance of inviting filmmakers, directors and producers to speak to students. He described growing up in Kansas not knowing anyone who worked in the film industry. At that time he thought meeting anyone from the industry would be an “insane idea.”

“Having students hear from people that are doing the things that they want to do, they learn skills, they learn practical things, but they also just get the impression that it’s real,” said Nyquist. “Like, ‘this is something I could actually do. These aren’t imaginary people.’”

Nyquist also explained the need for connections and recognition for students interested in films.

“Connections are very important. The way that one of our guest speakers a year ago said it is, ‘it’s not who you know; it’s who knows you’ because it’s getting your work out there and getting people to see your work and be able to do it,” said Nyquist.

Fortunately, Nyquist has been able to invite several speakers to Washburn, including Robert Hurst, director and professor in film and video production at the University of Kansas, as well as award-winning filmmaker Anna Elizabeth James.

Nyquist emphasizes that any student, regardless of their major, is invited to all WFA panels and are welcome to join their organization.

Edited By: LeSha’ Davis, Justin Shepard