‘Can Emporia’ is more than a competition

courtesy of WSGA

Participants can now donate online by scanning the QR code for Can Emporia. Donations will be accepted until Sept. 29.

Can Emporia, a yearly tradition since 2006, is a competitive food drive between Washburn University and Emporia State University.
The event is organized by the Washburn Student Government Association under the leadership of its president, Shayden Hanes. Both campuses aim to collect as many canned goods, non-perishable food items and monetary donations as possible until Sept. 29, and the university that collects the most will win this year’s Can Emporia.
The winner will be revealed on Oct. 1 at the football game between Washburn and Emporia State.
Students, faculty members, staff and others connected to Washburn or Emporia State can participate with donations such as ramen noodles, macaroni and cheese, jarred items, boxes of cereal and money. The event also welcomes donations from those who have no affiliation with either school.
All the donations, including cash and checks, are being accepted in the WSGA office in the Union underground. Donations can also be made online using credit or debit cards, PayPal accounts and other digital wallets by visiting the Can Emporia website or scanning the QR code on the flyers.
Bella Wood, campus and community affairs director for WSGA, shared that the donations will be distributed evenly throughout the Washburn and Topeka communities. For example, some donations will be used to replenish Bods Feeding Bods, Washburn University’s food pantry for students.

“We are also officially partnering with Bods Feeding Bods, along with the Henderson Outpost, Let’s Help Inc. and Project Topeka, all of which are committed to helping the community have access to basic nutritional necessities,” said Wood.

According to an article on KSNT’s website, “More than one in ten Shawnee County residents were food insecure.” Can Emporia will help combat food insecurity in Topeka and relieve it to some degree.

This year WSGA is hoping to raise 30,000 cans and defend their championship. Like last year, the winner will get the honor of “pie-ing” the opposing student government president in the face.
Overall, Can Emporia is a great initiative by both the universities as it brings students, staff and their respective communities together in a positive effort to give back to the less fortunate.
Everyone is encouraged to donate, as community support plays an immense role in either university’s victory. The effort is greatly appreciated by the recipients and all proceeds go towards a good cause.

Edited by Justin Shepard, Simran Shrestha