Bod Brief: Women’s tennis season ends with sweet 16 loss to Central Oklahoma

Kyle Manthe

Senior Svea Crohn makes a backhand return April 24, 2022. Crohn lost her No. 2 set in two sets.

After a run through the NCAA Central Region Tournament, Washburn women’s tennis team fell in the round of 16 in the NCAA National Championships to No. 4 Central Oklahoma.

The 4-0 loss to the Bronchos is only the second time in program history that the Ichabods have advanced to the round of 16. All of it comes after starting the year with a 4-8 record.

Washburn began doubles play with a loss from the No. 2 spot, with sophomore Maja Jung and senior Kinsey Fields falling 6-1. A 6-3 loss at No. 3 from senior Svea Crohn and sophomore Marta Torres gave Central Oklahoma a 1-0 lead in the match.

The Ichabods did not fare any better in singles play, beginning with Crohn falling in two sets from the No. 2 position. Torres and freshman Isabella Martensson each faced the same fate, falling in two sets from the No. 1 and No. 4 spots.

Jung, Fields and sophomore Cadence Lynn’s matches were all left unfinished with the 4-0 decision in hand for the Bronchos.

Washburn ends the year with a 16-12 record, the third straight full season the program has achieved that number of wins in a season.

Edited by: Glorianna Noland