Bod Brief: Women’s tennis falls to No. 4 Central Oklahoma in regular season finale

Kyle Manthe

Freshman Isabella Martensson makes a return April 24, 2022. Martensson lost in her No. 5 singles match in two sets.

Washburn women’s tennis winning streak was put to an end at five games after a 7-0 regular season finale loss to No. 4 Central Oklahoma University April 24.

The No. 50 Ichabods end the regular season with a 13-10 record and a second place finish in the MIAA with a 7-1 record.

Doubles play started with a win from the No. 3 position with senior Svea Crohn and sophomore Marta Torres taking a 6-4 win.

The No. 26 doubles pairing of freshmen Lara Schmid and Isabella Martensson fell 6-3 at No. 1 and sophomore Maja Jung and senior Kinsey Fields lost 6-4 at No. 2 as the Bronchos earned the doubles point.

Jung lost in two sets at the No. 3 spot to open up singles play. Martensson, Torres and Crohn each also lost in straight sets at the No. 5 No. 1 and No. 2 positions respectively.

Schmid lost the first set at No. 4 but won 6-4 in set two before falling in the super tiebreaker 10-4. At No. 6 singles sophomore Cadence Lynn won her first set but fell in the final two as Central Oklahoma completed the sweep.

Washburn will enter the MIAA tournament as the No. 2 seed and will take on Emporia State University in Edmond, Oklahoma April 29.

Edited by Alyssa Storm