Free film workshops connect students, public to award-winning Hollywood directors, producers and writers

The 2022 WIFI Film Festival features workshops and panels that will allow attendees to learn from several professionals in the film industry.

Workshops and Panels for Friday, April 29*

• Director Allan Holzman will present “Truth in Directing” from 1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. via live stream, but guests can watch in the Menninger Room (206) of the TSCPL.
    Sam Finch, Mass Media lecturer, will present “Truth in Screenwriting” from 3 p.m. – 3:50 p.m. in the Perkins Room (201) at TSCPL.
    There will be a special Filmmaker’s Talk with Kevin Willmott from 5 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. at the Rita Blitt Gallery. Guests can also watch it in the Marvin Auditorium at the TSCPL.

Workshops and Panels for Saturday, April 30*

• Dennis Etzel Jr., senior lecturer of English at Washburn University, will present “Myth or Truth” from 11 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.
    Ethan Jackson will present “Trust in Music” from 2 – 2:50 p.m.
    Local filmmaker Sue Vicory will moderate a panel, “Truth from Women in Film,” from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
    Jill Gevargzian will offer a special filmmaker’s talk after a screening of her film, “The Stylist” from 5:30 p.m. – 7 p.m. at Arts Connect.

Final online-only workshop

• Director Andrew Allen will share career advice and storytelling tips for any aspiring filmmaker from 4 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday, May 1. His talk will be streamed on Facebook.

*Out-of-town folks can join us on Facebook, where we will stream all workshops live.

Westen Smith, a current Washburn film student says that the panels are an “excellent opportunity” for aspiring filmmakers or interested community members.

Washburn film student, Rachel Janzen, loves the opportunities that Washburn provides through the WIFI Film Festival.

“It’s a great opportunity to see behind the scenes of a professional festival,” said Janzen. “Students gain hands-on experience by working alongside professors t

o whom they aren’t scared to ask questions of. Seeing the types of independent films that actually get made is a great opportunity to see what’s open in the market,” said Janzen.

Smith said he thinks that students who attend the festival and the workshops will have an advantage after graduation. Smith’s no-budget short film, “Abducted” will be screened along with several other student films.

Janzen is excited to attend Sue Vicory’s panel on Women in the Film Industry.

“I already know that she’ll give an interesting perspective on the industry,” said Janzen.