WU tennis clips the wings of RU and WWU

Sophomore Tommy Hunter and freshman Raul-Alin Dicu won their doubles match against William Woods 8-5.

Kendra Wicks

Washburn tennis teams destroyed the competition during their final duals of the season. They faced Rockhurst University April 10 and William Woods University April 12 on Washburn’s home courts.

The men’s team took out Rockhurst 7-2. Senior Blake Hunter and junior Alejandro Valarezo won their No. 1 doubles match 8-4. Sophomores Paul Haase and Chase Brill took down their No. 3 doubles opponents in a tight 9-7 match.

Brill went on to defeat his singles opponent, Julien Burmudez, 6-0, 6-2. Freshman Raul-Alin Dicu won the No. 4 singles slot with 6-2 sets. Haase won at No. 2 singles in a back-and-forth match 3-6, 6-3 with a 10-5 tiebreaker.

On the women’s side, sophomore Jacqueline Engelbrecht and junior Ally Burr dominated during their No. 2 doubles match with an 8-0 match. Junior MaKenna Gonzales and sophomore Madison Lysaught won the No. 3 doubles slot 8-2.

Burr smashed her No. 6 singles opponent, Mary Grace Harris, 6-2, 6-0. Gonzales destroyed the first set of her singles match 6-0 and defended the match during the second set, winning it 7-6 with a 7-2 tiebreaker.

The women were feeling strong during their matches and finished 9-0 against the Hawks.

“We felt good about our last two matches, especially since they were at home,” Engelbrecht said. “Our biggest strength was our team unity and our drive to be the best that we can be.”

The men’s team took out William Woods 7-2. Valarezo and Blake Hunter won the No. 1 slot 8-2. Tommy Hunter and Dicu brought down the No.2 doubles team 8-5.

Freshman Bradley Eidenmueller didn’t let his No. 5 singles opponent get in the game with straight 6-0 sets. The rest of the men played tight singles matches with Blake Hunter winning 3-6, 6-1 sets and a 10-7 tiebreaker. Brill fought long and hard against his No. 6 singles opponent, Jesus Amezcua, to win 6-7 (7-9), 6-1 with a 11-9 tiebreaker.

The men were excited to see how well they stacked up against these larger teams.

It was a chance to show everyone that the hard work was worth it and that we can compete with and beat teams who are on good winning runs,” Eidenmueller said. “Of course, everyone gets a little nervous before matches, but we felt good and had no reason to be scared or lack confidence.”

The women’s team defeated William Woods 6-3. Junior Alexis Czapinski and sophomore Logan Morrissey won their No. 1 doubles match 8-2. Gonzales and Lysaught won the No. 3 slot 8-3.

Engelbrecht destroyed her No. 2 singles opponent 6-0, 6-1 and Morrissey took out the No. 3 spot with straight 6-4 sets.

The women are 11-7 overall and are looking to end their season strong.

“We’re all very confident about the next few tournaments and we’re excited to see what we can do at conference and regionals,” Engelbrecht said.

Both teams will compete in their final tournaments in the coming weeks.

“The season is long and tiring, but now is the time to step it up even more,” Eidenmueller said. “We will not go down without doing our best and putting up a fight.”