Bod Brief: Women’s tennis takes down Tigers 7-0

Kohichiro Yamada

Cady Lynn hits forehand March 27, 2022, Topeka, Kansas. Lynn won her No. 5 singles match in two sets.

After opening conference play with a win the day before, Washburn women’s tennis continued its weekend run with a 7-0 sweep over Fort Hays State.

The win is the second in a row for the Ichabods, who moved to 6-8 on the year and 2-0 in conference play.

The No. 2 doubles team of sophomore Maja Jung and junior Kinsey Fields made quick work of their opponents, winning a 6-0 match to start the day off. That was followed by a 6-3 win in the No. 1 spot from freshmen Lara Schmid and Isabella Martensson.

Sophomores Cadence Lynn and Sydnee Foster claimed a 6-3 win on court three to complete the doubles sweep as Washburn moved ahead 1-0.

The Ichabods kept the momentum going in singles with straight-set victories all around. From the No.1 spot, Torres won 7-5 and 6-3. Jung and junior Svea Crohn, playing in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots respectively, each lost only one game in their two-set victories.

With a 4-0 win in tow, Washburn continued its run through the second set of singles matches. Fields picked up a two-set win from the No. 4 spot, followed by a win from Lynn at No. 5, dropping only three games.

Finally, freshman Issabella Pensavalle wrapped up a two-set win to complete the sweep.

The win moved the Ichabods to 4-2 at home on the season as they get set for another home match, welcoming Rockhurst University March 29.

Edited by: Glorianna Noland