Tennis quiets Owls in spring season opening win

Sophomore Maja Jung follows through after swinging Feb. 6, 2022. Jung won her singles match in two sets from the #2 position.

Washburn men’s and women’s tennis, ranked #21 and #17 in the ITA polls respectively began the spring season Sunday Feb. 6. against William Woods University.

Both teams made quick work on the doubles side with quick victories. On the women’s side playing from the third position junior Sveh Crohn and sophomore Marta Torres finished first with a 6-1 victory. Shortly after them the freshman pair of Lara Schmid and Isabella Martensson took a 6-2 victory in the first spot.

Those two wins gave the Ichabods one point on the board with sophomore Maja Jung and Kinsey Field’s match not needing to be completed.

Washburn swept all six singles points, facing little resistance as they would all wrap up in two sets. Jung was the first to finish, playing from the second position as she lost only four combined set-points. Next to finish was Schmid, followed by Torres who was playing from the first position.

In the next round of matches Crohn won a quick two-set match, followed by sophomore Cadence Lynn, who won in two sets while only dropping three set-points. Wrapping up singles, Fields took the final point of the day in a two set match to give the women’s team a 7-0 win.

For the men freshman Matthew Earle and sophomore Sebastian Pjontek took a quick 6-2 victory from the first position. From the second spot senior Raul-Alin Dicu and freshman Noah Neideck won 6-4.

Just like the women they took the first point with sophomore’s Miquel Perez and Santiago Rendon not needing to finish the third position match.

In singles for men the Owls came back to tie as Pjontek fell in his match from the second position. Dicu and Perez responded with two set wins from the first and third positions respectively, putting the Ichabods back out in front.

Freshman Tim Hammes was the next to finish, playing out of the fourth position. Following him was sophomore Daniel Bird who won his match in two sets, losing only four set-points along the way. Wrapping up the men’s side Earle fell in his match from the fifth position in three sets.

The men’s team was still able to leave with a 5-2 victory, as both the men and women moved to 2-0 on the short season.

Next up both teams will travel to O’Fallon Illinois to face the University of Indianapolis who are ranked No. 2 on the men’s side and No. 7 on the women’s. Both matches will take place Feb. 12.

Edited by: Ellie Walker, Katrina Johnson