Dance competition comes to Washburn next semester

Leah Jamison

Washburn will have its own version of “So You Think You Can Dance” in the spring 2022 semester. Students can sign up in the Office of Student Involvement and Development.

The Washburn University Campus Activities Board will be hosting a new dance competition for Washburn University students this coming spring 2022 semester.

The competition is called “So You Think You Can Dance?”, modeled after the television show. Students will have the opportunity to show off their dance skills and the winner will receive a $500 cash prize.

“We actually had a former student approach Isaiah [Collier] and say that we should do it,” said Cheyanne Colwell, senior history for secondary education major and one of the student directors of CAB.

Students must sign up in the Office of Student Involvement and Development, located on the main level in the Memorial Union, by Feb. 1, 2022, in order to compete. Auditions will take place on Feb. 2, a second-round on Feb. 17 and the finale will be Feb. 24.

“We will have a student judge, an administration judge and an outside judge,” Colwell said.

Katherine Cook, a junior sociology major, will be the host of the competition, similar to her role in “The Voice” competition earlier this fall semester.

“I am so pumped to have the chance to host another campus event for Washburn! I absolutely loved The WU Voice, and I am excited to see once again what hidden talent we have here at Washburn,” Cook said.

Edited by Katrina Johnson and Kyle Manthe