All canned goods welcome for the 2021 Can Emporia competition

courtesy of WSGA

Can Emporia is a canned food drive competition with Emporia State University. Donations will be accepted until October 30th.

Can Emporia, the competitive food drive between Washburn University and Emporia State University, has just begun! From September 7 to October 30, the Washburn Student Government Association (WSGA) will be accepting donations of food cans, ramen, jarred items, boxes of cereal, macaroni and cheese and monetary gifts.

The event, organized by Shayden Hanes, WSGA Campus and Community Affairs Director, is an easy and fun way for Washburn students, faculty and staff to get involved and help those suffering from food insecurity in the Topeka community. The University that collects the most cans wins and gets the honor of pieing the opposing student government’s president in the face.

Daniel Lopez, WSGA Campus and Communications Chair, shared that the event was organized in the effort to “try to focus, not just only on people on campus, but people in our community,” said Lopez. “So we want to give back and have a way of having an event to join Washburn students and people outside the community to donate cans for people in need.”

Anyone is welcome to donate cans including Washburn students, staff and faculty, student organizations and any community members, even those living outside of Topeka. Student organizations are encouraged to drop off their donations at the WSGA office (located in the Union Underground) and they will be recorded and affiliated with their respective organization.

There are numerous locations for individuals to donate including the WSGA office, the Ichabod Shop, the Student Life office and more. A complete list of locations can be found at Washburn.edu, as well as contact information to inquire about the event. All donations will be going to either Washburn’s on-campus food pantry, Bods Feeding Bods, or a local Topeka food pantry.