Tennis tackles William Jewell on senior day

Friendly Competition: Freshman Kinsey Fields smiles during her singles match on April 2. She defeated her William Jewell opponent 6-1, 6-0.

The men’s and women’s tennis teams cleaned the courts with William Jewell on April 2. Both swept their matches 7-0.

The men’s senior player, Alejandro Valarezo-Plaza, was recognized before his final match on Washburn’s home courts. Valarezo-Plaza and his doubles partner, junior Paul Haase, crushed their match 6-2.

The No. 2 pair, freshman Luke Howard and sophomore Raul-Alin Dicu, took a solid victory 6-0. In the No. 3 slot, sophomore Bradley Eidenmueller and junior Chase Brill destroyed their opponents 6-0 as well.

Haase went on to claim a singles victory in twin sets 6-1, 6-1. Eidemueller did the same in the No. 5 spot with 6-2, 6-2 sets. Sophomore Marc Roura Casi joined in the singles action, claiming the No. 4 victory 6-1, 6-4.

Valarezo-Plaza ended his final home match in straight 6-0, 6-1 sets. He looks forward to finishing out the season with a solid team.

“It’s been a struggle for sure, but I think we can turn it around,” Valarezo-Plaza said. “I think we can still win conference. We’ve been working pretty hard, on court and off. I’m proud of everyone and the work they’ve put in.”

The biggest thing Valarezo-Plaza will miss about playing tennis is his teammates.

“[I’ll miss] the van rides for sure, that’s a big thing,” Valarezo-Plaza said. “Hanging out with the team and just battling every match together. That’s a unique experience that not too many people get to have.”

On the women’s side, sophomore Svea Crohn and junior Jacqueline Engelbrecht swept their doubles match 6-0. Senior Alexi Czapinski and junior Logan Morrissey tackled the No. 1 team 6-1. Senior Ally Burr and junior Logan Morrissey conquered their doubles opponents 6-1 as well.

In singles, Engelbrecht and sophomore Maria Soler-Valverde both swept their singles opponents in clean 6-0, 6-0 sets. Czapinski went 6-1, 6-2. Morrissey brought down the No. 3 singles spot 6-0, 6-2. Crohn and Lysaught both ended their matches in sweet 6-1, 6-0 sets.

Both teams will finish their remaining matches throughout April as they prepare for conference competition.

“The season hasn’t gone amazing so far, but lately we’ve started getting better,” Dicu said. “We’ve won some matches that gave us more confidence. I think we’re ready to roll into the next ones, get some good wins and be ready for the conference tournament.”