School of Business ranked in top of nation by Princeton Review

Richard Kelly

Washburn’s School of Business continues to grow each year, and the Princeton Review recently selected it as one of the best in the country.

David Sollars, dean of the School of Business, said the selection came from “trying to offer new programs, to enhance learning for the students, and trying to increase the visibility of the School of Business to the students.” He said one of the ways Washburn will get the word out this year about the business school will be to mail out 11,000 of the school’s annual newsletters. Sollars spoke last week on the radio about the School of Business’ high honor from the Princeton Review.

The faculty and students have a major role in helping the business school run efficiently. Often, the small classes at Washburn allow more interaction and bonding between students and teachers, which can be harder for students entering large schools.

“The class sizes, being smaller, are one of the main reasons I decided to come to Washburn,” said Brian Haug, a senior majoring in marketing and management. “You get to know your professors and they care about you. Having that network to pull from when you start looking for a career is just really beneficial.”

When the Princeton Review went around to schools selecting the top business schools, there had to be a select criteria in place. First, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business had to accredit the university before it was even going to reach the possibility of survey point. This accreditation means that Washburn “confirms [its] commitment to quality and continuous improvement through a rigorous and comprehensive peer review,” according to the Washburn University Web site’s explanation of the AACSB. Only about 470 AACSB schools exist in the United States. Washburn was selected as one of the 296 top schools based on a survey conducted by the students.

Even the faculty members within the School of Business office have helped make it successful. If a student comes in with a question, such as an office member, the secretaries are available to help the student through situations.

“The faculty in the School of Business office has been a huge help with any problem or concern I may have had regarding my degree in business,” said Amanda Walter, a senior in marketing and management, via email. “If a student has a concern the faculty is quick and efficient in getting your problem resolved,”

Students in the graduate program of the School of Business receive these benefits as well.

“One of the primary reasons Washburn stands out is that the program is preparing us for the actual field itself,” said Roger Moore, who received his undergraduate degree in Computer Information Systems from Washburn and is working on his graduate degree from the School of Business.

Students and administration officials both see the honor for Washburn as well deserved thanks to a group effort. Within Washburn’s School of Business, all the pieces come together and the Princeton Review is only the beginning of those to see it shine.