Apeiron offers forum for scholarly research to WU students

Richard Kelly

Friday will mark the Apeiron’s seventh year at Washburn University. The day will be marked with presentations of scholarly research and activities that have been done by students.

According to associate professor Kim Morse, who chairs the Apeiron committee board, the event is “a place to showcase student, creative and academic excellence across the board.” The program is designed as a way for students to showcase scholarly research or a Washburn Transformational Experience.

Jenny Mills, who is presenting historical research, will be presenting for her third consecutive year. Mills said she has strong reasons for her repeat participation in Apeiron.

“What I want people to realize is Washburn is a place that allows opportunity for a forum for research,” said Mills. “It’s just really fun to see what other students are talking about.”

Word about Apeiron seems to be getting out. Morse has seen the progression over even the last few years, and has observed more participation each year.

“We’re increasing the biggest base in the College of Arts and Sciences, but every year we’re adding more students from Nursing, Applied Studies, and Business, which really shows just how broad and diverse Washburn is,” said Morse.

When the project began, it was designed to showcase student research to the academic and surrounding community.

“We needed a venue,” said Morse. “Washburn needed a way to show itself off, because we really do have students here who, at an undergraduate level, are doing graduate quality research. This is our opportunity to showcase exactly how exceptional these students are.”

While some students may see the event as a very large amount of pressure, Brandon Wentz, who is presenting research about southern history, encourages everyone to attend Apeiron. Furthermore, he encourages students to think about signing up next year if he or she has the research.

“The hardest part is signing up, truly,” said Wentz. “The best advice I have is: just present. Even if you don’t present, there’s no reason to not come up. It’s certainly worth your time.”

Apeiron also offers a method for students to gain experience presenting their work. Melissa Linquist, a psychology major presenting original research about stress, sees this as one of the great benefits of the program, in addition to the information that is provided.

“I think it is a wonderful stepping stone for what it’s like to present at other conferences,” said Linquist. “Some great advice is to just go and watch and listen and to ask questions, because it’s a friendly atmosphere that people can really learn from.”

The event starts at 11:30 a.m. and will conclude that evening at 6 p.m.