Phi Delta Theta fundraising complete; chapter house renovations to begin

With a lead gift from Ronald K. Richey, ’49, of Shoal Creek, Ala., and the support of alumni, the approximately $2 million campaign was conducted to complete renovations and modernize the current chapter house.  Alumni of the Kansas Beta chapter of Phi Delta Theta have generously dedicated their support with a commitment to continue to provide a safe and unique living environment for male students on campus. 

As one of the oldest buildings on Washburn’s campus, renovations will preserve the structural and historical integrity of the chapter house. The Kansas Beta chapter of Phi Delta Theta was founded at Washburn in 1910.  The chapter house, located at 1810 SW Mulvane, was built in 1927 and was one of the few buildings to survive the 1966 tornado that devastated much of Washburn’s campus.

Phi Delta Theta has played an integral role in the success of Greek life at Washburn since its founding.  The completion of fundraising for this project is the culmination of several years of preparations and planning by dedicated alumni in partnership with Washburn University leadership.

A volunteer group of Kansas Beta alumni, spearheaded by local alumnus Bob Taggart, ’51, played a crucial role in the success of this campaign. Other group members included Jesse Borjon, ’99 of Topeka, Ross Hendrickson, ’93 of Chanute, Kan., Rick LeJuerrne, ’91 of Tecumseh, Kan., and Ryan Mohwinkle, ’03 of Topeka.

“The private support that has made this fundraising project possible will enable the men of Phi Delta Theta to continuing living in their historical chapter house and will enhance both their educational and campus life experience at Washburn,” said Dr. Jerry Farley, Washburn University president.

The renovations are set to be completed before fall of 2011 classes begin.