Cast and crew of annual Vagina Monologues sell cookies to raise money

Lynda Zook Washburn Review

Students from the cast and crew of The Vagina Monologues, have been selling vagina cookies in the Memorial Union this week as a way to raise money for a good cause. In addition to these tasty treats, buttons and tickets will also be sold during their tabling. The show premiered Thursday night, and will run two more nights at The Andrew J. and Georgia Neese Gray Theater and is an annual fundraising event benefitting the Topeka YWCA Center for Safety And Empowerment.

Laura Burton, director for the center said this event has generated between $2,000 and $3,000 in previous years.

“It’s a great event because it’s all students doing it and [it’s] a really good show,” said Burton.

The center provides shelter and support for victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse throughout eastern Kansas.  

“We shelter about 150 people a year and accommodate up to 16 people at a time,” said Burton. 

The center provides victims a safe place while helping them acquire resources for other housing.

Sale of vagina cookies is one way the cast and crew have marketed the production. On Wednesday, Mia Capuano, a freshman theatre major and Michaela Carter, senior anthropology major were offering students an opportunity to personalize a vagina cookie with decorations. Both students are cast members in the show.  

“Laura baked the cookies for us, “ said Carter. “People have been decorating and eating them all week.”

They are selling for $1 each, and according to students, they are worth the cost.

“The cookies are freaking delicious,” said Capuano. “ Some people have been a little “shocked” about the idea of a VAGINA cookie. But some have been really excited too. It’s absolutely insane.”

Burton had baked over 300 cookies by Wednesday afternoon. “ I’ve baked cookies all week,” said Burton. “ There will be cookies at the show for sale each night.”

Performances of The Vagina Monologues will continue at 7:30 p.m. both Friday and Saturday. There is a suggested $10 donation for the show.