Washburn Business students place in international simulation contest

Press Release

TOPEKA, Kan. — A team of Washburn School of Business seniors has taken sixth place in an international competition, which pitted them against more than 863 others in a corporate decision-making simulation.

The team of Jaclynn Anderson, Adam Forbes, Joey Hinckley, Reid McCallum, Scott Noll and David Render bested teams and individuals from Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, India, Switzerland, Turkey and some of the largest and most prestigious business programs in the United States in the Spring 2013 Capstone Business Simulation Challenge.  

The recognized students, and a dozen others from Washburn who participated but did not place, used Capstone Business Simulation as part of their curriculum in Norma Juma’s management course. Any student around the world you used the simulation curriculum, a product of Capsim Management Solutions, Inc., was eligible to participate in the competition.

“The Challenge winners have displayed business knowledge and acumen far above their peers, and their successes can now be placed on their resumes for future employers,” said Anthony Illuzzi, challenge coordinator for Capsim Management Simulations, Inc. “This is a significant accomplishment when you consider the magnitude of the global competition.”

Juma, associate professor of management, said the simulation used in the competition was designed to be more difficult and faster-paced than the classroom version.  

“During the qualifying rounds students make a new set of decisions every day,” she said. And as the rounds of competition intensified, decisions were made and judged hourly. “In their courses they are used to making decisions once a week and having time to scrutinize the results.”

The simulation challenges students – who can choose to act alone as CEO or as part of a top-level management team as the recognized students did – to turn around an ailing theoretical company, making it as profitable as possible within an allotted time frame. The simulation was done online in April. Washburn’s students were the highest ranked among those who chose a team approach to the competition.

“We are competing with students from around the world. It is very, very rigorous,” Juma said. “Our students beat them.”

Washburn has done well in the competition in prior years, she said, placing as high as second place. The competition is staged in fall and spring each year.

All six students are earning their bachelor’s degree in business administration from the Washburn School of Business. Jaclynn Anderson, Topeka, is a senior with a finance emphasis. Adam Forbes, Topeka, is a senior with a marketing emphasis. Joey Hinckley, Topeka, is a senior with an accounting emphasis. Reid McCallum, Valley Center, is a senior with an accounting emphasis. Scott Noll, Winchester, is a senior with an accounting emphasis. David Render, Topeka, is a senior with a management emphasis.

To learn more about the simulation competition visit: http://www.capsim.com/business-simulations/challenge/challenge.cfm