Ichabods in Nicaragua

Nicaragua is home to many lakes and volcanoes. This Jan. 13 study abroad students took a trip to explore this land. While there, students learned about the history of Nicaragua as well as working with community leaders to help clean up a community center and preschools. 

Did you know there are Ichabods in Nicaragua right now? Others are studying abroad with faculty leaders in Belize and Costa Rica as well.

Back by popular demand, the Nicaragua Service Experience blog – written by students this year – is live and chronicling the trip.

The students, who were prepared for the experience on campus by Rick Ellis and Michaela Saunders, arrived in Nicaragua on Jan. 3. During the next two weeks they will see a volcano up close, learn about the country’s history of conflict and the role of the United States in those conflicts and will experience a homestay in the rural village of El Limon while completing a community-driven service project. The Washburn delegation is hosted by non-governmental organization ProNica.

As Internet access allows, the students will share their experiences (with light editing by Michaela) throughout their transformational experience in Nicaragua. Read the blog by visiting http://blog.washburn.edu/nicaragua

Feel free to leave comments on the blog and share it with your connections off campus.

Learn more about:

·         Study abroad opportunities for students

·         The international Washburn Transformational Experience

·         Other Learning in the Community service opportunities

Have a wonderful day!

Michaela

Michaela Saunders

Web editor, university relations, Washburn University

Master of Liberal Studies candidate ’15

e: [email protected]

o: 785.670.2154 | f: 785.670.1009

Morgan 119C | 1700 SW College Ave., Topeka, Kan. 66621

www.washburn.edu

LIKE us | Follow @WUBodTalk | +1 us | BodTalk on Instagram | LIKE Washburn 150