Washburn University’s northeast kansas total percussion camp trains local students

Sam Zlotky

From July 7 to July 11, drummers ranging from seventh grade through high school will have the opportunity to attend the Northeast Kansas Total Percussion Camp, an interactive and immersive camp hosted by Washburn University. These students will be exposed to a wide range of hands-on classes such as drum set and marching percussion. Additionally, camp goers have the opportunity to attend concerts and clinics.

The Northeast Kansas Total Percussion Camp stands out as the premiere percussion camp in the region.

“There is no place like this camp locally. It covers all the bases,” said Tom Morgan, director of percussion at Washburn University.

According to Morgan, this camp offers drummers the unique opportunity to familiarize themselves with a broad range of percussion skills that will leave campers with memories they’ll never forget.

“We do a little low-pressure audition. We try to match kids with similar interests,” Morgan said, emphasizing that individuals of all different skill levels are welcome to attend.

During the event students will be housed in Washburn University dorms and drummers with similar interests will be placed in the same drumline or percussion ensemble groups.

Each year the camp reaches out to figures within the percussion community, which can attract some well-known names to the event.

“Last year was a big year,” Morgan said. The camp included a clinic and concert performances from the Jeff Hamilton Trio. “This year we are trying to get Jeff Moore and Keith Larson to direct a mass marimba ensemble.”

Jeff Moore is a well-known percussion educator who has worked with Washburn University in the past. Other participants like Brandon Graves, drumline instructor, and Von Hanson, drummer for the Wrong Kata Trio and Washburn graduate, will also make a guest appearance.

“My experience was amazing,” said JD Nichols, a Washburn University senior and former participant. “I met a lot of experienced people in percussion, and I had a lot of fun.” When asked if he would attend the camp again, Nichols said he would in a heartbeat.

For more information visit their website or contact Morgan at [email protected].