Feldt stuns in junior vocal recital

Lisa Herdman

On Oct. 24, Marya Feldt’s junior vocal recital and reception took place at White Concert Hall. Every performance major is required to do both a junior and senior performance recital. If they are a music education major, they can choose to only do a senior recital, although it is optional do perform both years.

“Recitals and concerts for music students are like game day to athletes,” said Marya Feldt, junior vocal performance major. “To see people out in the audience cheering us on and excited for what we’re talented in is exciting.”

Feldt mentioned the hours of work put into these recitals by students. Both recitals for junior and senior year must use entirely different music to showcase their talent and growth. Many students will practice music for years before holding a vocal or instrumental recital for an audience.

Ann Marie Snook, chair of the music department at Washburn University, was mentioned as a great mentor for Feldt.

“I have been taking lessons from Dr. Snook here for five years now. I started in my junior year of high school,” said Feldt. “Snook told me you have to do something that you’re passionate about, and especially that you are good at. Once she said that, I knew it had to be vocal performance for the rest of my life.”

Feldt explained that she started singing around fifth grade in choir. A woman named Laura Smith was her director, and Feldt regards her as a fantastic teacher. It was these two teachers that ultimately made her fall in love with music and know that it was the right decision.

Some students, like Feldt, struggle with a major before finally declaring. She mentioned wanting to be a pharmacist at first, but realized that it wasn’t her passion. She plans to go on to graduate school to further pursue music.

“I want to get in with an opera company, and sing for as long as my voice will allow,” said Feldt. “I’d love to end up at a church somewhere being a music director.”

All students are welcome to attend recitals and watch their fellow students perform what they have learned on stage. Feldt wants to encourage students at Washburn to come to recitals and support their fellow Ichabods. She says it is disheartening to look out into the audience and see so many empty seats.

“Students put in so much work with rehearsals and a lot of time as well. I wish there was more attendance at shows,” said Feldt. “I wish every concert and recital was like today, with a lot of people in the audience and a lot of cookies and food taken from the reception area.”