WU Wellness Center: more than just weights

Front of the Recreation Center.

Courtney Sweeney CONTRIBUTOR

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center at Washburn wants to make sure students are having fun while living and promoting a healthy lifestyle. The SRWC promotes health awareness, education and opportunities for students to be physically active and have access to information on how to be healthy.

There are many ways in which students can engage in healthy activities. The wellness center includes a gymnasium, fitness loft, rock climbing wall, track, wellness suite and multipurpose rooms for students to be active in. The diversity of physical activities can give students the choice to do the physical activity that best fits them and their lifestyle.

“The SRWC is the best way for students to get free access to exercise equipment and classes like zumba, yoga and cycling. I think the rec center is a great choice for anyone wanting to improve their physical health,” said Mindy Barks, senior.

If a student wants to play on a team, intramural is a great way to go. Intramurals are throughout the school year and have many different sports to choose from. Some of the sports that have been played in intramurals are basketball, football, volleyball, dodgeball, etc.

The SRWC hours for the fall and spring terms are from 6:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday, Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 9 a.m.

Using the SRWC building is a great way too keep healthy, have fun with friends and colleagues, and to avoid the “freshman 15.”