Washburn presents Union Underground Live!

Jessica Knieff

Washburn hosted Union Underground Live!, a new, student-led initiative Aug. 29 in the lower level of Memorial Union. 

Planned by Gabbi Rollins, sophomore graphic design major, the main goal of the event was to create a lively space for student to enjoy live music during the afternoon, typically the busiest time in a student’s day.

The first musician to perform in Union Underground Live! was Rachel Taylor, business student and singer-songwriter, who performed a mix of pop and country hits.

Groups of students gathered throughout the afternoon enjoy the live acoustic guitar music, as well the free refreshments. As a part of Union Daze week, Union staff handed out free popcorn, energy drinks and water. For those participating in the Union Daze Ichahunt, stamps for students’ passports were available by the popcorn station.

Natasha Martinez, senior political science major, enjoyed the first Union Underground Live! performance. She had seen Taylor perform prior to this event and was excited to see her again on campus.

“It brings students together as a stress reliever,” Martinez said. “It’s really cool that [Taylor] is going to school for business and she is able to make a business for herself with music here.”

Becky Bolte, director of Memorial Union and University Scheduling, served popcorn to students and staff who came downstairs to enjoy the acoustic solo performance.

“The Union Underground was created for students to gather in a space where they don’t have to worry about being quiet,” Bolte said. “Now that we know how to best use this space, we can liven up students’ days and give them the chance to relax and restore between classes.”

Bolte said that Union Underground Live! will have a positive influence upon the campus, as it allows students to support their fellow Ichabods and relax between classes. It is also a great opportunity for musicians, both solo performers and bands alike, to gain exposure and experience through these paid performances. 

Any students interested in being featured in upcoming Union Underground Live! shows should contact Becky Bolte at [email protected]